TOUCHDOWNS ABOUND IN STADIUM CLASH

Backfield of Cheek, Gehrke, Miller, and Zarakov Kept Intact--May Start Saturday Against Virginia

It looks as though the new backfield, first tried by Coach Fisher on Tuesday, would be the one to start Saturday's contest against the University of Virginia. Again in yesterday's signal practice Gehrke, Miller, Zarakov, and Cheek were the first choice.

Later in the afternoon, however, when Team A lined up for scrimmage opposite the scrubs, Zarakov was the only member of this combination to start. Stafford played quarterback; Braden and Samborski completed the backfield. The Crimson eleven was given the ball at midfield, and on the initial play fumbled it. It was recovered by a blackshirt, but was given back.

Zarakov Breaks Loose for 20 Yards

For three downs the scrubs were immovable, then Zarakov, aided by perfect interference, broke loose through left tackle and carried the pigskin 20 yards before being stopped. Another ten yards the University advanced, but were held for downs on the scrub 20-yard strip.

Stafford received the scrub punt and made the second brilliant run of the afternoon when he wormed his way by half a dozen black jerseyed tacklers for a 30-yard gain. Coach Fisher subsequently gave the ball to Coach Knox's team on its own 20-yard line. They falled to accomplish anything.

Samborski Crosses Goal Line

Captain Greenough's eleven got the ball on their opponents' 25-yard line and finally drove it over for a score on a line plunge by Samborski.

The second team was given an opportunity to emulate Team A's example, getting the ball on the University's 25-yard line. The scrubs were equal to the occasion. In four plays they made a first down 14 yards from the goal. Following another gain, they advanced the ball to the five-yard line on an offside penalty. The Crimson players then held for three downs. It looked as if they would keep their goal unmolested for another day. A perfect pass from Gillies to Sanchez, who stood quite unnoticed ten yards behind the goal, finished the episode quickly.

From the second's 35-yard line the first team rapidly advanced to the ten-yard line, from which Zarakov scored. The last tally of yesterday afternoon's practice was made after Coach Knox's men got the ball five yards from the University goal. This time it was Cohen who crossed the line for the scrubs.