The Campaign At Harvard

Professor Holcombe Gives Advice for University Campaign

"It is an excellent thing to stimulate interest in political affairs and as such I heartily endorse these various political clubs, but I must say that they only hold my interest when they do some work and stop talking poppycock", said Professor A. N. Holcombe '06, Professor of Government, when he was asked recently what he thought of the educational value of the political activity now so prominent in University affairs.

When asked to make suggestions as to the work to be done, Professor Holcombe said: "There has been little effort made by any of these organizations to call to the attention of all students who were eligible to vote at the coming election the rules governing absent voters. If a united movement were undertaken to point this out, to encourage all men who have become of age, to avail themselves of the opportunity to vote, the clubs would be accomplishing a great service. It also seems to me that a straw vote would be a good measure to stimulate interest, to secure a wider participation in political affairs. When I was at college the fashion used to be to indulge in torchlight parades, marching right into Boston. Perhaps this has become old-fashioned now but it was a great way to arouse enthusiasm. The Republican Club has taken the lead in securing a really first rate speaker, when they procured Mr. Mondell. I think the other two organizations should do the same, that is, get a man of national prominence to make an address."