"UP THE LINE" WINS 1924 THEATRE PRIZE

Competition Open to Past and Present Members of English 47--Famous Plays Among Former Winners

"Up the Line," a play written by Henry Fisk Carleton M.A. '21, of Madison, New Hampshire, has been announced as the Harvard prize play for the current year by a committee of judges consisting of Professor George Pierce Baker '87, head of the 47 Workshop, Mr. Edward B. Sheldon '08, who wrote "Salvation Nell," and Mr. R. G. Herndon, the donor of the prize.

The Belmont Theater prize of $500, which is the title of the award which Mr. Carlton has won, is given annually for the prose dramatic composition of at least three acts, submitted in competition, and judged by a committee to be best suited for professional production. The competition is open only to past or present members of "English 47," Professor Baker's course in playwriting, and the award in addition to the $500 entails professional production in New York, within six months, by Mr. Herndon, the donor.

Graduate of Cornell College

Mr. Carlton graduated from Cornell College, Iowa, in 1915. From 1919 to 1922 he studied under Professor Baker in the University. While here he was an assistant in English. He acted as a member of the Workshop Company in a number of plays in Cambridge and went with its on its trip to New York City, Utica, Cleveland, and Buffalo in 1921.

Several Harvard prize plays of the past have met with notable success on the professional stage. Among these were "Believe Me, Xantippe," by Frederick Ballard G '12, "Common Clay," by Cleves Kincard, "Mama's Affair," by the late Rachel Barton Butler, and "You and I," by Philip Barry G '22, which ran in New York for six months.