BELIEF IN GOD MUST BE BASED ON MORAL SENSE

Professor Lewis Claims Conception of Supreme Reality Is Necessary--Can Not Prove God's Existence

That God actually exists is the thesis upon which Professor Clarence Irving Lewis '06, professor of Philosophy in the University, addressed a large audience in Phillips Brooks House yesterday afternoon in the fourth of the series of Sunday lectures on religion.

Professor Lewis admitted that it was impossible to prove the existence of God by scientific methods, and declared that the only basis for a belief in God rested upon moral grounds. There is no evidence concerning God, he admitted. The theory of evolution has exploded the previous theory that God had created the world. Science and experiment cannot prove His existence. But, he said, it is not necessary to do more than imagine that there is a God.

Professor Lewis declared that his, belief in the existence of God was based entirely on his moral sense. Declaring that the word "ought" represented not a personal principle or law, but "the ultimate-fact of human life", Professor Lewis described God as the moral force without which all life would be meaningless and futile.

In attacking the Fatalists and those of similar schools of philosophy who resign themselves to the inevitable he said. "The conception of an indifferent God requires moral indifference".

He concluded his lecture by declaring. "The Conception of some Supreme Reality is necessary to validate the sufferings and ambitions of human life".