Maryland Not Expected to Offer Much Resistance to Battle-Scarred Elis, but Coaches Work on Defense

New Haven, Conn., November 5.--After four hard games in so many weeks, Yale will have a slight breathing spell this Saturday before encountering Princeton and Harvard. The Blue eleven was outrushed and generally outplayed by Georgia, Dartmouth, Brown and the Army, but still remains as one of the few unbeaten, teams in the East. Fast thinking, and a knack of taking advantage of every break, has enabled the Bulldog successfully to weather an extremely difficult schedule.

Maryland, however, may not afford the Elis much of a rest. Last year they came up a week after Yale's impressive 31-10 victory over West Point and gave Yale its hardest battle of the season. Without losing the ball on downs the southerners crashed down the field in two 80-yard marches and were leading 14 to 0 when the first period ended. Yale made a touchdown and drop kick in the second quarter and added another touchdown in the third, barely squeezing through with a 16-14 triumph. With only a few minutes of play left Maryland attempted a field goal from Yale's 35-yard line. The ball sailed through the air plenty high enough but a couple of yards to one side. If Maryland is as strong as a year ago the Blue will be taxed to the limit to win.

Army Outplayed Yale Badly

In Saturday's game with the Army, Yale was badly outplayed in almost every department. The Cadets gained three yards to Yale's one, and had half a dozen chances to score but failed to come through on all but one occasion. Frequent fumbles of punts and kick-offs greatly hindered the West Point aggregation.

The thing that saved the day for the Blue was Pond's forty-eight yard run for a touchdown in the opening period. With Yale in possession of the ball at midfield, Pond drove at the Army's right tackle but ran into a nest of waiting Cadets. Shaking these off, he broke to his left, stiff-armed two more tacklers and raced the remaining distance to the goal line.

Perfect weather conditions permitted a crowd of 77,000 to enjoy the fray to the utmost. Every seat in the Bowl was occupied when the game got under way. The Cadets, 1200 in number, gave their customary drill exhibition on the field shortly before the contest began. During the intermission between the halves an Army bugler sounded "taps" in memory of Percy Haughton while three Yale cheer leaders and three West Pointers stood at attention with flags lowered and the spectators looked on with heads bared.

Will Emphasize Defensive Play

During the coming week Coach Jones will try to remedy the many defects which were brought to light by the Army. Among the most prominent of these is the weakness of the line on both the offense and the defense and a wretched interference which affords the runner practically no protection. Since the Yale line held Dartmouth for downs on the one-yard mark, it has been consistently poor. Captain Lovejoy is a wonder in backing up the line but the opposing team have no trouble in ploughing through for material gains.

The interference is slow and is easy to break up. This was amply demonstrated when Lindley went into the game in the last quarter. Several times he was on his way to big gains around end but the interference melted away and he was thrown for a loss or tackled for only a small advance.

Plays Diagnosed When Backs Point

Another point that needs brushing up is the manner in which the backs "point" when signals are being called. The Cadets were often able to tell from this who was going to carry the ball and were the ball was to go.

In the absence of Bench at quarterback Bunnell performed well, using good generalship and directing his men with fine judgement, but nevertheless the Army diagnosed the plays all too easily.