TO THE STAKE!

The Cincinnati Enquirer, still intoxicated with the overwhelming conservative victory, and still reeling a little after a jubilant celebration, proposes the discharge of the two hundred and thirteen professors, who, its figures show, supported La Foliette in the almost forgotten campaign. They have proved themselves "attached to recognized heresies", and must be "relieved of all duties as instructors of the youth of the nation". Evidently the Enquirer is not satisfied that the benightedness of ignorant opinion is a sufficient punishment; some more positive and noteworthy chastisement can alone fit the Enquirer's feeling for divine justice.

Fortunately, the Enquirer cannot persecute its discredited opponents; fortunately, the intellectual standard of the tolerant Enquirer is not to be imposed upon the professors; fortunately, the draught of hemlock is not to be administered to these "corrupters of youth". It is to be hoped that some charitable reader will present the editor with a ticket to "Saint Joan", if it visits Cincinnati. Perhaps he will recognize his cousin, the Curate, to whom "nothing that an Englishman thinks is heresy".