UNIVERSITY BEATS GRADUATE QUINTET

Well-Developed Passing Game Surprises Visitors--Crimson Defense Proves Almost Impregnable

A 41 to 17 score upset the dope in the first game of the University basketball season last night, when the all-star Alumni quintet went down to defeat before a hard-passing, clever-shooting Crimson five. The total absence of one-man playing, and a fairly well-developed team work for this stage of the season made the game less interesting but more promising than the early games of past years have been.

Team work was the issue on which the game was decided. Throughout the two twenty-minute halves, the former Crimson players were unable to penetrate far into the five-man cordon thrown about the Harvard basket. In the second half, Gordon recaptured some of his last year's long distance skill, but the visitors offense was never dangerous.

Smith, Jones and Leekley, however, netted the ball time after time, taking it up the court by series of short passes. Smith starred, scoring four clean shots and as many free throws before he was taken out, Leekley running him a close second with three field goals and six out of eight free shots. Captain Samborski scored his team's first count of the season a few minutes after the game started and was the most effective defense player on the floor.

Scoring Looser in Second Half

The scoring became much looser in the final period. Leekley, who played almost the entire game without having a foul called against him, scored three in rapid sequence in this half. Harvard substitutions were frequent near the end, Heageney, Rauh, and Malich fitting well into the Crimson machine.

It was the coordination of Coach Wachter's starting team last night that warrants optimism on the part of the Crimson basketball enthusiasts. This was all the more obvious in contrast with the individual playing of the visitors, who rarely succeeded in cutting-in to the basket. Gordon and Fitts with three goals apiece accounted for all but two points of their team's total, the other score being credited to Depolo, a former Harvard student ineligible to play, who started the game in place of D. E. Egan '23.