BIGELOW DIVIDES THE HOCKEY SQUAD

Burgess, Hodder and Newell Are on Team X--1928 Stickmen Will Have Initial Meeting Next Tuesday

The University hockey squad was divided into two groups yesterday, in anticipation of the first scrimmage of the year.

Twenty men were retained in the first of these groups, which is understood to include the more likely material, with the possible exception of a few men who were prevented from practicing with Group I because of conflicting college engagements.

3 Teams Chosen From Group I

Group I, when it reported for practice at 2 o'clock was divided into three teams. Although it was stated that there was no preference between these teams, the presence of three letter men, G. W. Burgess '25 at left wing, Clark Hodder '25 at center, and J. L. Newell '26 at goal on Team, X would seem to entitle that combination to first place. The other three members were C. L. Pierson '25 at right wing, E. C. Clark '27 at right defense, and C. E. Bohlen '27 at left defense.

Team Y lined up as follows: E. W. Bailey '27 r.w., R. L. Pruyn '27 c., C. S. Gross '27 l.w., Willard Howard '27 r.d., L. O. Pratt '26 l.d., Thayer Cumings '26 g. Team Z consisted of Elisha Canning '26 r.w., J. B. Durant '27 c., Henry Parish '26 l.w., W. P. Ellison '27 r.d., C. L. Wylde '27 l.d., and R. T. Flood '27 and J. J. Mapes '25 goals.

34 Men in Second Group

The second group, consisting of 34 men, was divided into four teams for scrimmage purposes. They practiced from 3.30 o'clock until 5. W. M. Austin '25 was included in this aggregation because of his inability to attend the earlier practice.

Coach Bigelow announced that he intends to cut the squad in all probability at the end of the week. On Monday the football men will join the squad.

1928 Will Meet Next Week

The preliminary meeting for candidates for the Freshman team will be held Tuesday, December 9, at 7 o'clock in Smith Halls Common Room. Coach J. H. Dempsey '23, who has just returned from the West, will address the first year men, as will Captain E. M. Beals '25 and Manager J. G. Cushman '25. Freshman manager candidates will also meet at the H. A. A. at 1.30 o'clock on Tuesday.