Communication

Murder Will Out

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Whatever may have been their attitude toward the fallibility of the Bible and the adequacy of evolution to account for the origin of man, those present at Dr. Straton's recent address could hardly fail to see the significance of that meeting. There was evident an emotional intensity which showed that the students realized the importance of religious problems, but their questions proved their utter helplessness to deal with such problems. Isn't it rather illogical for a student, who in other subjects insists that those to whom he listens shall be of recognized authority, to settle his own attitude toward religion without even trying to find out the truth of the matter? He who has an objection to revealed religion has no right to consider such objection valid until he has consulted one who, through study, is able to speak with authority.

Furthermore, the college student gets the material, analytic point of view, but fails to see that all things cannot be treated from this standpoint. The supernatural, the miraculous, simply do not exist for him. Yet religion is composed essentially of these elements. The only satisfactory approach to religion must itself be religious, sympathetic. Religion is a matter of experience; he who has not undergone the religious experience has no right to pass judgment on religion. Let us give religion a fair chance, and allow it to make its appeal in its own peculiar manner.