QUIBBLES

It may not be impertinent to point out at this juncture that what was originally a real difference of opinion between the Governing Board of the Union and its Undergraduate Committee on a serious and important principle has degenerated into a series of rather ineffective quibbles on both sides. And whereas some of the points brought up might be considered in "related fields" as university Hall would put it, most of them seem to indicate either an inability or an unwillingness to hit the nail on the head.

The issue is clearly enough the question of whether a liberal or a conservative policy is to be pursued in regard to the invitation of speakers to the Union. And from this beginning have developed proposals for changing the character of the Undergraduate Committee, proposals for upsetting the whole machinery on inviting speakers, recriminations on the subjects of the recent limitation on the subjects of the recent limitation of Union membership, a Century Dictionary definition of "eligible", and a discussion of representative government. Not to mention an appeal to the President and Fellows of Harvard College.

There is something essentially unbusinesslike about all this. It has been necessary for each of the controversial parties to explain its position repeatedly with regard to different phases or indeed, irrevelant matters. There seems to be little cooperation; and still less mutual understanding. Undoubtedly, the question is one which deserves much thought and deliberation. But to accomplish anything, there must be coordination and readiness to ignore trifles as well Endless quibbling and evasion serve only to pass the time.