ELIOT, LOWELL, LAWRENCE ENDORSE C. M. T. C. PLAN

ROOSEVELT SAID SCHEME WOULD CURE FUNDAMENTAL EVIL

The Citizen's Military Training Camps for New England will be held this summer from August 1 to August 31 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts, and at Fort Adams, Rhode Island. The object of these camps is to bring together men of high type from all sections of the country on a common basis of equality and under the most favorable conditions of outdoor life; to stimulate and promote citizenship, patriotism, and Americanism; and, through expert physical direction, athletic coaching, and military training, to benefit the men individually, and bring them to a greater realization of their obligations to their country.

Eliot Endorses Enterprise

President Eliot heartily endorses the plan: "Pending the adoption by the people of the United States of universal military training for able-bodied young men, the Citizens' Military Training Camps will offer to the young men of New England courses on military instruction in their camps this summer. I recommend these courses to all young men-who-wish to prepare themselves for military service in defence of the country against aggression from without or attacks from within, and who propose to aid in realizing, if occasion will offer, the hopes which the American National Army suffered and died for during the World War."

President Lowell, also, thoroughly approves of the C. M. T. C. "I always have been and am heartily in favor of Officers Training Camps for students, The Plattsburg Camps did a great deal of good, and I have been glad to encourage students to attend camps of this kind."

Roosevelt Favored Training Camps

According to ex-President Theodore Roosevelt '80. "The fundamental evil of this country is the lack of sufficiently general appreciation of the responsibility of citizenship. Nothing would do more to remedy this evil than the kind of training in citizenship, in patriotism, and in efficiency, which would come as a result of universal service on the Swiss or Australian models, or rather on a combination of the two adapted to our needs. Between the ages of 18 and 21 there should be a month of actual and continuous service in the field with the colors. Such universal training would give our young men the discipline, the sense of orderly liberty and of loyalty to the interests of the whole people which would tell in striking manner for national cohesion and efficiency."

Rishop William Lawrence '71 says: "Certainly I believe heartily in the Citizens Military Training Camp movement, and am very glad to do what I can in its support."

Coach R. T. Fisher '12 says that nothing is more beneficial to put a football player in condition than a month spent at training camps.

Pierpont L. Stackpole '97, Civilian Aide to the Secretary of War for the First Corps; Area, is also chairman of the Military Training Camps Association of New England. The State chairman of the Association is John W. Farley '98.

Plan Vigorous Sport Program

The Program in detail possesses much of the appeal of a vigorous vacation. Athletic competitions in baseball, swimming, and track games, calisthenics, shooting, military drill and instruction, practical engineering problems, and radie instruction are all included in the curriculum. Four courses, Basic, Red, White and Blue Courses, will be given. The Basic Course requires no previous military training and provides all preliminary instruction. Applicants for the Red Course must be graduates of the Basic Course, or have had military training equivalent thereto. This course provides training in different branches of the Army infantry, Field Artillery, Coast Artillery, Corps of Engineers, Cavalry and Signal Corps. The White Course offers more advance training for graduates of the Red Course.

Applicants for the Blue Course must be warrant officers or enlisted men who have served at least nine months in one of the components of the Army and who are physically fit, or men who a have attended the White Course in 1923 and were recommended to pursue the Blue Course.

Applications may be sent to the C. M. T. C. Officer First Corps Area, Boston.