LAUDS ARTISTIC MERIT OF UNIVERSITY PRESS BOOKS

Librarian of the Harry Elkins Widener Collection Calls Artistic Director Genius for Typographical Work

"Songs and Ballads of the Maine Lumberjacks", collected and edited by Roland Palmer Gray of Elmira College, will be published within a week or so by the University Press. Round the camp fires and in the log cabins deep in the Maine Woods, the lumberjacks have for many decades composed and sung a rude poetry celebrating their hazardous life with its trials and its compensations. For the student of poetic orgins and of American life as well as the general reader, these poems are even more interesting than the famous old ballads handed down from our English ancestors. The typography of the book is another strikingly beautiful example of the versatility and skill of Mr. Bruce Rogers, who is the artistic director of the University Press.

Artistic Director Recognized Abroad

According to Mr. George P. Winship '93, Librarian of the Harry Elkins Widener Collection, his book will be a typical example of the high standard set by the University Press. He attributes this standard largely to Mr. Murdock, Director of the press and chairman of the Board of Syndics, which has general supervision of the books published, and Mr. Rogers "Of course," said Mr. Winship, "the University Press does not attempt to compete with the large publishing concerns, but it does maintain an exceptionally high standard, which they often do not. Mr. Rogers is a genius for typographical work.

Plan Many New Publications

The following is a list of books which, although as yet far from completion, will be published in the future: "Books and Prints: Informal Papers", by William M. Ivins Jr. '98 of the Metropolitan Museum; "A Critical Biography of William Dean Howells," by Oscar W. Firkins; "The Foundation of the Chinese People," by Chi Li G. '23; "Getting a Laugh and Other Essays," by C. H. Grandgent '93; another reprint of delightful Elizabethan anthology edited by a charming account of recent Irish writers by Norreys Jephson O'Conor '07; a truly monumental work on the intellectual life of the Middle Ages entitled "Studies in the History of Mediaeval Science," by Charles Homer Haskins Hon. '08; "Men and Policies," an eighth volume of Elithu Root's collected addresses; "The Philosophy of Character," by Edgar Pierce '92; a masterly volume on the naval history of the World War, by Thomas G. Frothingham; another monograph in the Harvard Health Talks, "Present day Conceptions of Mental Disorders," by C. M. Campbell," and an entirely new translation of Montaigne, by George B. Ives '76.