FRESHMEN VISIT EXETER TRACK THIS AFTERNOON

EXETER CAPTAIN, O'NEILL, MAY WIN THREE EVENTS

This afternoon the Freshman track team will have to display unusual talent to down the Phillips Exeter Academy athletes. A squad of 41, headed by Coach O'Connell and Coach Teschner, will leave on the 1.15 o'clock train for Exeter bent on retrieving their laurels lost at Andover last Saturday. Although the Exeter team appears not to be quite up to the standard set by their rivals, their entries contain many experienced athletes, bound to threaten.

Freshmen Strong in Dashes

In the century and 220-yard dashes, the hammer throw, the shot put, and the javelin the Harvard Freshmen loom strong, but such Exeter men as Captain O'Neil, Eliot, and Brandenbury make the chances for first honors in the other events appear dim. O'Neil, who in a winter meet last year at Bowdoin scored 25 points himself, is entered in the quarter mile, half mile, and mile events today, and, if previous records can be trusted, should break the tape in each. In the 880-yards run he holds the interscholastic record and by making it in 1 minute 57 seconds recently, he very nearly equalled the intercollegiate mark Against him in the mile run Harvard has entered Haggerty, captain of the 1927 relay team, who beat the inter-scholastic 1000-yard champion at Huntington this winter, and MacMakin, who should push him to the utmost. Secrist will be a strong rival in the 440-yards dash. To win the half mile O'Neil will have to beat Jacobs, who got second against Andover, and Haggerty.

Miller, Lundell Strong in Sprints

Competition for first place in the shorter dashes will be in all probability between two Freshmen, Miller and Lundell, both of whom were recorded to have made 9 4-5 seconds in the 100-yards dash last year. The low and high hurdles will probably be won by Eliot, who has done 25 seconds fiat in the former, while the broad jump should go to Brandenburg and Eliot. In the high jump, Hollis and Moyer of the Freshman, who tied for first place at Andover should repeat their victory tolay.

Kilgour and Lemmon, capable of 145 feet and 137 feet respectively, will almost certainly score fully in the hammer throw. Miller and Kilgour should do the same in the Javelin. Weakness on the part of Harvard in the pole vault and the discus, will probably give Exeter a complete victory in these events.