HARVARD DEMOCRATS MAY STEAL RIVALS' THUNDER

FEAR EFFORT BY ALIEN GROUP TO PLAY POLITICS

"The platform adopted at the Harvard Democratic convention next week may be Republican, or even Socialistic," was the astounding statement made to a CRIMSON reporter last night by a member of the mock Democratic National Committee.

When questioned further, the member explained how such a paradox would be possible. The Platform Committee is already working on a practical and constructive platform, embodying, of course, the usual Democratic principles, but whether this platform will be adopted by the convention will depend in a large part upon the voting strength of the Democratic delegates present. There are rumors abroad, the reporter was told, that independent groups are making deep-laid schemes to secure the adoption of certain measures contrary to the accepted principles of the Democratic party. A strong and well-organized crowd might even "capture" the convention and stampede it to Bolshevism.

The ever-present possibility of such a catastrophe, as well as the bitter fights sure to develop over the prohibition enforcement issue, the preparedness question, and the League of Nations controversy, will keep the interest at a high pitch. Factions on both sides of the last three questions have already been organized and are working for support. The New York delegation, which will be solidly back of Governor Smith, will lead the eastern states in the struggle against the western "dry's," who seem to hold the upper hand at present.

"The fact that the convention will be open to the university will give delegates the opportunity to express the most divergent views on the subjects that are taken up," the committeeman concluded. "In fact, I think that the business of adopting a platform, which will come earlier in the evening than the balloting, will hold as much interest for the delegates as the choice of presidential and vice-presidential nominees."