NINE STILL CONFIDENT THOUGH PURPLE WINS

Worcester Hurler's Invincibility in Tight Places and Harvard's Bad Third Inning Result in 6 to 0 Shutout

Harvard's 6 to 0 defeat from Holy Cross at Worcester showed again that the Purple nine is far superior to the Crimson, but it did not materially check Harvard's confidence for the coming contest with Yale. Saturday's fray was very much a ball game, and save for a single bad inning Harvard held her own at bat and in the field.

Owen Carroll was the mystery that he has always been, but he was found for seven clean hits by the University batters. His effectiveness was 100 per cent in the pinches, however, as the Harvard ninth inning proves. Todd singled to start that frame. Hammond was safe when Walsh booted his easy roller, and Rogers walked, Carroll calmly surveyed Crimson runners on every base and then struck out the side. A. S. Rogers, batting for Hill, Samborski, and Larrabee, hitting in place of Brown, were the three victims. Carroll also fanned Hammond, A. G. Rogers, and Hill in the seventh.

Harvard Hits in Other Frames

Only in these two rounds did Harvard look woefully bad at the bat. In the other innings Captain Jenkins and his men made Carroll pitch to the limit and constantly threatened to break open the game with a flock of hits. The very first inning presaged what was to happen all the afternoon. Campbell and Gordon singled sharply to the Purple outfield with one out only to be left on base when Todd struck out and Hammond rolled feebly to Gautreau.

Rogers opened the fifth with a single, but he never got to second. Gordon tripled to right center with two away in the sixth, but a brilliant play by Walsh on Todd's fine bid for a hit staved off the threatened run. Gordon's triple would ordinarily have been a homer, but ground rules held the batter on third.

Crimson Again Threatens in Eighth

The eighth saw another fine chance wasted. Walsh's barefaced larceny robbed Samborski of a hit, although the force of the blow felled him. The Purple third-sacker recovered himself quickly and his throw nailed Samborski by half a stride. Brown singled to right and sprinted around to third when Jenkins his safely. Campbell and Gordon were, however, easy infield outs and Carroll's shutout record was unmarred.

Purple Deluge Comes in Third

A deluge of Purple hits and Purple runs landed on Spalding in the third inning. Five singles, a double by Carroll, a wild throw by Spalding, and two errors, of omission by his infielders let five runs across the plate and gave Holy Cross a safe lead. Cote, who made a homer in the Cambridge game, laced out a mate to it in the sixth inning for the last Holy Cross run. Todd had barely reached the ball when the batter scored.

Brown turned in a capable performance as relief pitcher in the last three innings. He allowed two hits, both of which really ought to have been cut off by Hammond. He fanned Gautreau and Captain Simendinger walked Riopel, and hit Cote. His strike out of Simendinger came with the bases choked in the sixth. The Harvard southpaw looks more and more like a Yale series possibility. He will probably start the Wednesday game against Dartmouth.

The summary:

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Jenkins s.s.  4  0  1  0  3  0Campbell 1b.  4  0  1  8  1  0Gordon c.f.  4  0  2  6  0  0Todd l.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0Hammond 2b.  4  0  0  2  1  0A. G. Rogers r.f.  3  0  1  4  0  0Hill 3b.  3  0  0  2  3  0*A. S. Rogers  1  0  0  0  0  0Samborski c.  4  0  0  2  1  0Spalding p.  2  0  0  0  3  1Brown p.  1  0  1  0  0  0**Larrabee  1  0  0  0  0  0Total  35  0  7  24  12  1Holy Cross  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Gautreau 2b.  4  0  0  2  5  0Walsh 3b.  5  1  2  0  7  1Cote s.s.  4  2  1  4  0  0Riopel l.f.  3  1  1  0  0  0Simendinger c.f.  4  0  2  2  0  0McEntee 1b.  4  0  1  10  0  0Freeman r.f.  3  0  1  0  0  0Ryan c.  4  1  2  9  0  0Carroll p.  3  1  2  0  1  0Total  34  6  12  27  13