COMMENT

Where Stands Harvard?

The enrollment at colleges and universities this fall is not only the highest on record, but far in excess of the normal increase attributable to growth of population. Heads of colleges are seriously considering the question of limiting the number to be received. Some colleges have been compelled to reject applicants. It is no longer necessary for a college president to act as drummer for the Freshman class.

Why this unprecedented rush to the colleges? it is scarcely because more people have money to spend. Nor is there evidence of an accession of interest in the regard for that classical and humane culture which used to be synonymous with college education, for there has been of late a particularly widespread and vigorous drive against that sort of culture as "not practical" and therefore useless.

The chief reason why young men and women are thronging to the college and universities is probably because education is becoming more vocational. Universities now offer courses not merely in law and medicine, but in accountancy, in retail salesmanship, in insurance, and indeed, in almost every department of business activity. Even the less comprehensive college which have not schools of commerce, finance and accounts have in perceptible degree enlarged their curricula, and the general tidal wave which carries thousands into these "practical" university departments sweeps many into them as well.

So it happens that classical and humane studies are reported to be holding their won and in some quarters making substantial gains. The upholders of the old ideals thus have little ground for complaint. We are to have more technicians, but coincidentally more with minds generally enlarged. The two educational concepts are not antagonistic, as some have feared, but complementary and mutually helpful. The New York Tribune.