R. O. T. C. SENDS BIG UNIT TO CAMP DEVENS

Three New Instructors Are Polo Experts--Will Form Officers Team to Play Against University Trio

In spite of the opposition manifested last year against the continuation of military training in the University, more men attended the Military Training Camp at Camp Devens last summer than in either of the previous two years. Forty-nine members of the University availed themselves of the privilege, and with the completion of their four years work in the Department of Military Sciences in the University, will be entitled to commissions as Second Lieutenants in the Officers Reserve Training Corps.

As in former years, the Harvard unit demonstrated its ability, not only in the quality of its preparation, but by winning the pistol championship in competition with other units. All of the men completed their work at camp satisfactorily. The cup won by the unit is now in a case at Wadsworth House. A duplicate of the General Service Cup, which is emblematic of general superiority, and which was won by the Harvard unit the previous year, was lost last summer by the close margin of a single point.

Six Receive Commissions Now

Although the regulations require a student preparing for a commission in the Officers Reserve Training Corps to attend camp at the end of his Junior year, six members of the University who graduated last June, and who had been unable to attend camp at the end of their Junior year, went to Camp Devens last summer, and received their commissions at the completion of their work. These men were G. W. Baylies, R. T. Bunker, C. C. Curtis, J. G. Flint, E. A. Norman, Occ. R. L. Thompson.

49 Completed Work Satisfactorily

The following men completed their work in the Advanced Camp satisfactorily: John Adams Jr. '25, N. D. W. Allen '25, Donald Bourne '25, G. D. Braden '25, G. T. Chase Jr. '25, F. McM. Cobb '25, C. C. Curtis '25, D. J. Danker Jr. '25, J. G. Flint '25, Alexander Frazer Jr. '25, John Griffin '25, J. W. Hammond '25, C. D. Hazard '25, Carl Hiller '26, J. D. Hills '24, P. A. Hodges '25, T. S. Hope Jr. '25, W. Emmanuel Kurland '25, E. A. Meadows '25, A. T. Merian '25, C. P. Morehouse '25, W. A. Morrison '25, J. S. Murphy Jr. '25, E. A. Norman '25, James Otis '25, R. C. Otis Jr. '25, W. A. Pallme '25, P. F. Pond '25, O. R. Rice '25, Oliver Shaw '25, R. L. Thompson '25, Julius, Wadsworth '25, J. P. Whitall '25.

The following men attended the Basic Camp, optionally, and will be eligible for commission at the completon of their course in Military Science A. Gordon '27, W. G. Moody '27, R. O. A. Spalding '27, J. W. Teele '27, and W. H. Wister '27,

R. S. Scott '27, also attended camp at Newport, R. I.

Three West Pointers, Join Unit

With the departure of Captain R. W. Daniels to Fort Sill, , and Captain B. H. Perry to Fort Benning, Georgia, the Department of Military Science secures three new men--Major L. A. Craig, Captain J. B. Wogan, and Captain William Spence. These new men will be stationed at the University for a period of four years. All three are graduates of the Military Academy at West Point, and thoroughly familiar with the problem, of military traning in the college.

Major Craig has been awarded the Croix de Guerre with palm for exceptionally meritorious service in France. Captain Spence was the youngest Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Army during the war. Captain Wogan comes to the University with a brilliant war record. All of these men play polo, and are interested in the development of the game among students at Harvard.

Polo Prospects Receive Boost

With the advent of these three officers, prospects for the formation of a formidable polo team in the University will be enhanced. The game is only two years old in the University, and although much progress has been made under the tutelage of Captain S. F. Clark, the lack of a suitable playing field, and a sufficient number of good ponies has proved a handicap.

An officers team will be formed, thus enabling the members of the University Squad to compete regularly against an aggregation of ability. Games with officers teams from Yale and Princeton will be arranged if possible by the Harvard Officers, and every effort made to promote progress in polo

Polo Prospects Receive Boost