TO DISCUSS RELIGIOUS CONTROVERSY AT P. B. H.

MEETING AT 7.30 WILL BE ONLY TO STUDENTS

Dr. Theodore G. Soares of Chicago will speak this evening in Peabody Hall of Phillips Brooks House at 7.30 o'clock on "The Significance of the Fosdick Controversy."

Dr. Soares, who is a professor of homiletics and practical theology at the University of Chicago, has been conducting the daily morning services in Appleton Chapel this week. He is the author of several books, including "The Supreme Miracle and Other Sermons," and is nationally recognized as one of the greatest of American preachers.

He and Dr. Harry Emerson Fosdick, who spoke at Phillips Brooks House recently, are striving for a new religious leadership, and a new social program. Like Dr. Fosdick, Professor Soares was ordained a Baptist minister, but he has not been the center of the bitter struggle which has raged between the Modernists and Fundamentalists over the former. He has followed the controversy closely, however, and will probably bring out in his address tonight, the fact that religion and modern science can be harmoniized.

In the course of a noon-day address in King's Chapel yesterday Professor Soares clearly defined his position on the whole subject. He said, "It will be good to bring you something entirely new today--a new religion, a new social program, a new way to train children in righteousness, a new understanding of God. The old is so tedious and commonplace."

The meeting which is the third of a series given this year under the auspices of the Undergraduate Speakers' Committee of Phillips Brooks House, will be open to all members of the University. The public will positively not be admitted, however, because the limited seating capacity of Peabody Hall has proved itself scarcely able to accommodate the large crowds which have thronged to the first two meetings of the series.