AN HORATIOALGERIAN

Another quick turn of the coat is the latest stunt in the political career of Raisuli, the Moroccan Houdini. So many shifts from the Spanish to the Mohammedan sides of this little war, and then back again, have left all but his followers certain that he is, after all, only on his own side.

If Raisuli ever takes up writing for a living--and who does not in these days?--his first book will be entitled "From Bandit to Governor--And Back", for the last few months have seen him pass unembarrassed through these startling metamorphoses. A few months ago he was named governor of Morocco, with the expectation that he would put down the Mohammedan revolt which has robbed Spain of all Morocco except the seaports. But no, after a few months in the executive turban, Raisuli has returned to an alliance with his nominal enemy, Abd-el-Krim.

In his early and uncorrupted days, Raisuli was a theological student in the Mohammedan schools of Tetuan, and might today have been a muezzin--truly a romantic figure, but hardly likely to perplex the Spanish government. At present, he is an expert purveyor of hot water: his daily production floods the Spanish market with trouble. As long as Raisuli is doing the acrobatic in Tangier, that sector of the international map will pull the front pages. Meanwhile, he is an answer to those sceptics who doubt the existence of "real, live, kidnapping sheiks".