CALLS A.B. AS USEFUL IN BASEBALL AS BUSINESS

COLLEGE GRADUATE IN BASEBALL FAILS TO STUDY WORK

"In baseball, as in business, the college traimed man has an advantage over men who never went to college", said George S. Sisler star first baseman and manager of the St. Louis Browns to a CRIMSON reporter recently. Mr. Sisler is a graduate of the University of Michigan.

"In most cases the difference between a major league player and a minor leaguer lies in his brain power. The man in the minor league may be able to bat a ball as far, run just as fast, and throw a ball as hard as the major league man, but usually his mind is not as alert as the man in the higher league. Most ball players must play for serveral years in the minors before they can find a permanent, job in one of the major leagues. This is not true so much in the case of college men, because they can learn quicker and they usually remamber what they learn.

Profession Requires Close Study

"Usually the chief fault in a college graduate who turns to baseball as a profession, is that he treats it as an experience rather than a business and doesn't put his mind on his work. Baseball is like any profession in that it demands close study and attention if a player wants to succeed.

"The difference between professional baseball and college baseball is that the finer points are stressed more in the former. A college team seldom meets an opponent more than once in a season, but in a major league where the teams meet each other many times each season a close study is made of each man. Many people think that a college team plays harder than a professional nine, but I have not found it so.