UNIVERSITY WINS, 1929 LOSES IN CROSS-COUNTRY

ARLINGTON HIGH OUTRACES 1929 ON NEW COURSE

With improved weather conditions yesterday the University cross-country team gained a decisive victory over the Holy Cross runners by a score of 23 to 32. Captain W. L. Tibbetts '26 and E. C. Haggerty '27 easily led the field, and crossed the finish line together in 29 minutes 35 and 3-5 seconds. Two Holy Cross men, Gallant and Murphy, came in second and third respectively. R. G. Luttman '28, who placed second against Middlebury last week and starred on last year's Freshman team, was unable to run yesterday on account of a bad ankle.

University Places Three More

The three other men who scored for Harvard were L. J. Novograd '27, who placed fourth; L. B. R. Barker '26, sixth; and Edward Gordon '27, seventh. The first five runners for Holy Cross were Gallant, Murphy, Hand, Deane, and McNamara, in that order.

While the University team was running to an easy victory, the Freshmen were losing heavily to a fast turnout from Arlington High School. The race was an informal one over the new three and one-half mile Freshman track, which starts from the old horse racetrack, following the river away from the Stadium until it crosses the river and reverses along the other bank ending with the University track at the Lars Anderson bridge.

As the first ten men of each team were conarel in the scoring, figures rag very high ending an 86 to 124 victory for Arlington.