EARLY SEASON GAMES PROVE PRINCETON POWER

Tie With Strong Navy Eleven Reveals Potentialities in the Work of Slagle and Ewing

Princeton, N. J., October 19.--The past week of practice at Princeton has been marked by continual shifts and changes, with the result that it is now almost an impossibility to tell what eleven players constitute the Varsity line-up. The team that started against the Navy Saturday was composed as follows: Jeffers and Moeser, ends; Gates and Rosengarten, tackles; Captain McMillan and Davis, guards; Bartell, center; Ewing, Beares, Dignan and Gilligan, backs.

MacMillan Made Permanent Guard

Of the numerous changes apparent in the above since the game with Washington and Lee a week ago that appears to have done the most good, is the shift of Captain McMillan to guard, his place at center being taken by the light, but fast, Ernie Bartell, who has been playing end this fall. Against the Blue the line unexpectedly stiffened and did the best work of the season, being especially good when the Tiger goal was threatened.

The backfield is still in a state of confusion. As the writer predicted a week ago, Coach Roper picked two backfields last Monday to be used interchangeably. One was composed of Slagle, Caulkins, Bridges, and Gilligan, and the other of Ewing, Dignan, Weekes, and Prendergast. This idea seemed to blow into smoke the ensuing days and most of the backs into the oblivion of the second team. Just now it is very uncertain who will form the first backfield.

As a result of this constant shifting there is still a decided lack of teamwork in interference and the forward passing attack, once so strong, is beginning to fade. Only one of three Orange and Black passes was successful Saturday, while the Middles hurled seven out of twelve successfully. In general, Princeton was outplayed Saturday, the Navy registering twelve first downs to five for Princeton, but the statement, made by one sporting writer, that Princeton was very, very lucky to tie is not quite true. Navy gained most of its ground between the 30-yard lines and, if Hamilton on several occasions came close to the bar with his drop-kicks, Sammy Ewing also did not miss by much in the last minute of play. Nor can it be forgotten that on one occasion Jake Slagle made a brilliant run around end for a touchdown, only to have it cancelled by an offside penalty.

All of this points to the fact that Princeton is not only coming, but coming strong and, as the only undefeated team in the "Big Three", will give the strong Colgate eleven a hard fight for the honors next Saturday.