HARVARD INVESTIGATES APPEARANCE OF METEOR

DESCRIBED VARIOUSLY AS GREEN AND SILVER BALL

Dr. Willard J. Fisher of the Harvard Observatory has issued a questionnaire asking for reports from observers of the meteor seen Sunday morning in the vicinity of Boston.

Between 10.15 o'clock and 10.30 on Sunday, a brilliant shower of balls of fire apparently dropping to the earth was seen by persons in South Sudbury, Roslindale, Ipswich Brunswick, Me., and other towns.

Dr. Fisher has stated that the extraordinary display may be a display of the November Leonids, a phenomenon that occured at the same date in 1799, 1833, and 1866.

Observations Vary

The "floating" meteor was vigorously described as "blue green about a foot wide with a red tail of red fire 30 feet long," and as "a ball of silver twice the size of a croquet, with a gold tail three yards long." According to an artist sketching on the Ipswich marshes, the meteor landed with a loud thud only a short distance away. A naval officer at Squantum, however, reported that he saw the meteor fall in the middle of Dorchester Bay.

These widely differing accounts make it seem clear that more than one meteor fell, and accordingly Dr. Fisher has begun a scientific investigation of the phenomena. The Harvard Observatory has issued the following questionnaire:

"Where were you at the time of the observation? If possible, give this accurately enough so that the place can be located on a topographical map of the State or Geological Survey.

"What was the time of the appearance? If watch time can be given, with a statement of the error of the watch, so much the better; but answer according to your best information.

"What was the apparent altitude of the meteor when first seen? When last seen? This does not ask for the altitude in feet, but for an estimate of the angular altitude, as such a fraction of the distance from the horizon to the zenith, or in degrees.

"What was the point of the compass over which it appeared? Over which it disappeared? If you can revisit the point of observation with a pocket compass, you can doubtless increase the accuracy of your estimate; but in any case, state the directions as well as possible.

"For how many seconds would you say that the meteor was visible?

"Describe the phenomena as you saw them: color, sixe, form, noise, etc. including direction of motion."

Of general interest in this connection will be the radio talk on "Shooting Stars," which will be broadcast from Station WERN, between 7.45 and 8 p. m. on. Tuesday, December 1, by Dr. Fisher.