Editorial Bewails Harvard Indifference for Football--Crimson Dated 1880 Exhorts Students to Watch Practice

The demonstration of enthusiasm at the Union last night offers strong contrast to the attitude of indifference towards the University team half a century ago. An indignant editorial on "Harvard Indifference Towards Athletics", appearing in a November issue of the CRIMSON in 1880, shows the extent of neglect to which the sport had fallen. The pitiful request that members of the University come out and encourage by their presence the eleven at practice, would seem particularly out of place in these days of secret sessions and active manager candidates guarding the Stadium. The editorial follows:

"Harvard indifference to athletics--it belongs strictly to Harvard, as it never appears in other colleges--we have often discussed, because it is one of our most dangerous opponents in intercollegiate contests. We wish again to warn the members of the University against this insidious foe, which this year is on a greater increases than never before. The Yale News states that Harvard is straining every nerve for victory in the coming season. This is true so far as it concerns the men who are training for the 'Varsity, but it is not true of those outside of them.

"When our men are working hard to retrieve Harvard's defeats of last season, their training is certainly made less monotonous and more earnest and attractive if they feel that all the eyes of the University are upon them. As it is at present, the Varsity practices every day, rain or shine, and yet not a man takes enough interest to watch them and give them an encouraging word.

"Last year, after the crew race, members of the 'Varsity were heard to complain of this treatment. Harvard will have to work very hard for success next year, and we hope that every man will consider it his duty, whenever it is possible to encourage by his presence the practises of our men."