FOR THE BEST CREW EVER

If there ever was a bogey snooping about Weld and Newell Boat Houses it will now have to take up quarters elsewhere. Every closet and recess in these buildings has been so aired and thrown open to the light that there is no longer any nook or cranny where it can hide. At the open meeting on yesterday Coach Stevens made it clear to candidates that crew at Harvard is crew for Harvard; that a single standard prevails in judging candidates; and that this standard is merit. No spoils system, no patronage, no closed shop. Every man who wants to row is eligible, and those who show the greatest ability win.

The best way to dispel idle rumors is to meet them openly, and Coach Stevens has wisely employed this means to show that all misinformation concerning crew is empty shadow. With such assurance and with the hearty interest of all undergraduates in the welfare of crew, the 1925 season opens auspiciously. May each crew candidate for the coveted positions have success measured in the words of the inscription on Portia's leaden casket: "As much as he deserves."