BIG THREE AGREEMENT TO RESTRICT COACHES PAY

SALARY OF FULL PROFESSOR USED AS MAXIMUM LIMIT

The University, with the cooperation of Yale and Princeton, has initiated a ruling whereby the salaries of football coaches among the "Big Three," will be limited to $8,000. This is equal to the maximum sum which a full professor at any of the three universities now receives as salary. Furthermore, no alumni bonuses will hereafter be permitted.

The agreement was originally reached by Mr. Harry Pennypacker '88, Chairman of the Athletic Committee; Professor C. W. Mendell of Yale; and Professor C. W. Kennedy of Princeton in a conference at New Haven. Before it goes into effect however it must be ratified by the athletic committees of all three universities.

Harvard to Decide on March 4

According to Major F. W. Moore '92, the agreement has been signed by the University and Princeton authorities and is favored by Yale. The New Haven institution, and the University, have not yet definitely ratified it. Harvard's approval of the new pact is subject to favorable action by the Athletic Committee which meets on March 4.

The ruling provides for no radical change in the policy followed by the University in recent years. The late P. D. Haughton '99 received a salary of only $10,000 during the last few years of his term as Head Coach, but only half of this sum was paid by the University. The alumni contributed $5,000. The salary of Coach R. T. Fisher '12 never exceeded the $8,000 which has now been imposed. The most important change provided by the agreement consists in the ruling against alumni bonuses, which have been very numerous in the past, not only among the "Big Three," but in most colleges and universities throughout the country.