POUND DECIDES TO STAY AT HARVARD

Professors Say He Made Best Choice but Passed Up a Good Thing--All Glad He Is to Stay

Dean Roscoe Pound of the Law School announced yesterday that he had definitely decided not to accept the offer of the Presidency of the University of Wisconsin. Dean Pound said that he declined Wisconsin's offer because he felt that he had made law his life work and that it would be unwise to change now.

In answer to the many questions that flooded his office yesterday, Dean Pound made the following statement:

"The offer of the Presidency of the University of Wisconsin was very attractive both to my wife and to myself. The Regents offered everything in a material way that one could ask, and very much more than one could expect here. Also Mrs. Pound and I are Westerners, both of us graduates of a state university, and both of us believers in the Western system of co-educational, state universities. I recognize the great work to be done in Western state universities, and its paramount importance for the country. I recognize also that there could be no better place to do that work than at the University of Wisconsin. I believe there is a real call for a vigorous man who understands the West and its institutions, to devote his best energies to such on institution as the University of Wisconsin.

Legal Work His Metier

"On the other hand, years ago 1 deliberately devoted myself to legal education, legal research, and endeavor by teaching and writing to promote the most effective administration of justice. That work is at least scarcely less important than the work which is to be done as President at Wisconsin. Moreover, it is a work that I have come to understand. I do not feel justified, on mere grounds of personal inclination toward life in the West and in a Western academic community, in deserting something that I had definitely taken up as my life task."

The general concensus of opinion among the members of the Law School and the Faculty was that Dean Pound had made a wise choice and all were very well pleased with his decision to remain in Cambridge.

Hudson Overjoyed

Professor M. O. Hudson G. '07 declared that he was "overjoyed" with Dean Pound's decision when interviewed last night.

Professor Calvert, Magruder L. '16 reflected the general trend of ideas on the subject when he stated that "he was tickled to death" with the prospect of Dean Pound's remaining here. In his opinion "he passed up a good thing to retain a better one at the Law School."

Beale Much Pleased

Professor J. H. Beale '82 in commenting on Dean Pound's deciding to remain at the Law School said that he "was very much pleased because it was his place and he belonged in it." Professor Beale also thought that he was turning down a good offer.

Dean Pound's determination to refuse the offer made by the Regents at the University of Wisconsin came as more or less of a surprise to many people. Both "The Nation" and "Time" in speaking of the offer by the Madison authorities seemed to take it for granted that he had virtually accepted the offer.