Recognition

THE PRESS--

Roscoe Pound's decision not to accent the Presidency of Wisconsin University but to remain at Harvard as Dean of the Law School is a decision which will be gratifying to Harvard men. It should please many other people. For it is always a pleasant thing to see a man refuse more money and higher rank because he knows that he has already found a job worth doing. And beyond that, Dean Pound's decision cannot fail to add prestige to the profession of the teacher.

"Or here is a man who might have had an important administrative post at the head of a great State university and who chose instead to remain a teacher because he could see no other work more worthy of his effort. "Years ago," says Roscoe Pound, "I deliberately devoted myself to legal education, legal research, and endeavor by teaching and writing to promote the most effective administration of justice." That he says, is work which he was come to understand. It is work which he cannot now desert.

Nor should be, we believe. As the modern university is organized, the office of President requires a combination prophet, business man, booster and expert on amortization. Dean Pound might be all of these. But he knows that the teacher is the man around whom any educational system ultimately revolves and that no finer opportunity comes to any man than to work with younger minds, to train those minds and set them thinking. New York World.