THE GIANTS BATTLE

With the passing of the "Cotton Belt" into the control of the Rock Island Road ends the battle of the old giants. The St. Louis Southwestern Railroad, known as the "Cotton Belt", was the last trace of the great steel network, which Jay Gould conceived and created, still to remain in the hands of his family. Now Edwin Gould without fuss or ceremony relinquishes it.

The Gould system started in 1857 with a terrific war of control against E. H. Harrlman. It was the era of mad railroad construction when fortunes awaited the successful builder. Such success was achieved chiefly by ruinous competition; and miles of torn tracks, hundreds of crushed investors, unceasing litigation, hectic legislation, and deserted boom towns marked the Gould-Harriman tornado.

The unrivalled American railroad net was in part the result of this bitter struggle; and pride in its development has led to forgetfulness of the old unscrupulous dealings. Yet even today new giants are waging financial wars, or at least sparring for position in a great game of railroad chess. By the present deal, which was actually consummated months ago, the Rock Island Road gains a position of vantage in the Southwest carrying trade. Looking forward both to further competition, and to a day when the Southern Pacific will seek a road to the East, the Rock Island realizes that the "Black Belt" will be both an important factor in consolidating its freight system and a valuable power in any trade with the Pacific road.

The character of the combat, however, has changed. The bludgeon which injured not only its wielder's antagonist, but everyone within range, has given way to the more gentlemanly rapier. The vigorous action of the government has largely accounted for the change; but the ironic observer could point out that though the old methods are now despised and outlawed, the Gould family has through them emerged--immensely rich and respected.