DEPARTURE OF DRAMATIC COACH STIRS ALL YALE

SITUATION COMPARABLE TO LOSS OF BAKER HERE

Turmoil comparable to that occasioned by Professor Baker's departure from Harvard has been caused at Yale by the resignation of Edgar M. Woolley A. M. '13, for ten years coach of the Yale Dramatic Association.

Mr. Woolley resigned from Yale to come to Harvard, it was rumored in New Haven shortly after the announcement of his resignation. "This rumor is absolutely unfounded," said Mr. Woolley in a statement to a CRIMSON representative. "I have received no offer from Harvard, and it is not decided what I shall do next year. The only thing that is definite is that I shall not be at Yale.

"The situation here is extremely painful," said Mr. Wayland W. Williams Yale '10, a member of the Board of Directors of the Dramatic Association, in discussing Mr. Woolley's resignation in a statement to the CRIMSON. "Here is a man," continued Mr. Williams, "who, when due allowance is made for his youth, is in teaching power comparable to Mr. Baker.

"Although his work has been mostly as a producer, he is also a teacher and some years ago it was proposed to give him a position on one of the faculties of the University as a teacher in one or more courses.

"The astounding situation then arises of Yale, enabled through Mr. Harkness' generosity to utilize Mr. Woolley's services to the fullest extent, refusing to him any University position. There is not the slightest evidence that this refusal is due to any doubt of Mr. Woolley's abilities. The cause remains obscure. Speaking for myself, I can say that it will not have the effect of making me rejoice over the gift of the new department, or the appointment of Mr. Baker."