FRESHMAN NINE LOSES TO BROWN 1928, 4 TO 1

Hadley on Mound for Providence Team Puzzle to Crimson Freshmen -- Linscott Deserves Better Fate

A pitcher who allowed but three hits and made the safety that won his own game was the big factor in the second defeat of the year for the 1928 baseball team. The Freshman nine succumbed to the Brown 1928 outfit on Saturday in this game which except for a single inning, had nothing to mark it as one of the best contests of the season.

Both Linscott, in the Crimson box, and Hadley, the Brown pitching ace, seemed to completely bewilder their opposing batsmen. Each nine got a quota of three hits and it was only by collecting their safeties in the same period, coupled with Hadley's triple, that gave the visitors their margin of victory.

The department of the game which best indicates the edge of superiority on the part of Brown was the fielding. The visiting first year men worked smoothly both in the infield and outfield and made only one error which was not costly while the Crimson Freshmen made four slips which did much to account for the final score. A wild throw in the seventh started off Brown's scoring period and two more mistakes in the final frame were responsible for their last run.