Gales Ferry "Wow", Daily Publication of Eli Crew Camp, Dedicates Itself to Grass Protection and Local Gossip

"A good laugh a day keeps the Blue blues away" seems to be the slogan adopted by the Yale crews in training at Gales Ferry. Every morning bright and early, the Eli oarsmen receive a gay, irresponsible little broadside appropriately emblazoned "The Daily Wow."

Although the dispatches from Red Top had mentioned the founding of such a publication by editors of the Yale Daily News, doing service with the Eli crews at Gales Ferry, no authentic details had been received until a stray copy of the publication wandered into the Crimson office yesterday.

Its only avowed object is to work up the drab news of a training camp in good rollcking fashion, evidently in the hope that the hearty laugher it induces, will strengthen the stomach muscles of the oarsmen.

If an ordinary paper wanted to say "Don't park your car on the lawn" it would say just that. However, the "Wow" is no ordinary paper. It expresses the aforesaid sentiment as follows:

"Off the Grass,

"Yesterday we spoke of our duty towards our town. Today we wish to speak of something that concerns each one of us more intimately. We refer to the indiscriminate leaving around of cars on the beautiful vista of lawn that stretches down to the bright sparkling waters of the Thames.

"This is something for every one to watch himself. Remember there are bathers who are walking in that vicinity in bare feet and they are apt to get one of these things in their feet. A Flint is said to cause a nasty bruise on the insten. Be sure that you put all the parts back in again when you dismember your peculiar brand. The car won't run so well without them and it spoils the chastity of the greensward."

Then come the social columns and personal mention. "George W. (Mike) Murphy was the center of a lively little party in the Gales Ferry dining room last evening. The occasion was his coming of age (21) but as Ruth Van Phul would say, 'nobody would ever guess it. The dinner was a riot of color and the odor of condensed milk could be distinctly observed."