REVIEWER FINDS H. A. A. RACE PROGRAM AMUSING

SHERWOOD AMUSES WITH A TRITE "SPEECH FOR COACHES"

In an age when activity is of more concern than purpose, it is gratifying, not to say astounding, to discover a publication which serves as many purposes as those delegated to the Official Program of the Harvard-Yale Regatta. That publication was designed by its publishers, the Harvard Athletic Association, to amuse the impatient crowds in case of a postponement of the starting time, to educate them in "What the Young Girl May Wear", to give them a background of crew history, and to give them, in the most approved off-hand fashion, some idea of who will race on Friday.

Among the advertisements there are two of particular interest to Harvard men: The Advocate promises to reform next year and the Lampoon apologies for its productions by saying that "There is always the chance that an embryo genius is lurking in Lampy's pages."

Following Lampy's hors d'oeuvre the table of contents is served as a meat course. It is as rich as duck with stuffing. Walter Camp, described as the father of American sport, is eulogized by Alfred Hampton Barclay. Ernest E. Rogers follows Mr. Barclay with a how made on behalf of New London.

Robert E. Sherwood has written a delightfully trite, for it is so true, "Standard Speech for Coaches on the Eve of the Big Event," Sandwiched between Sherwood and George S. Chappell on "Modern Developments in Collegiate, Rowing". John Dos Passos has been called in to prove that the program is not alone of athletes, by athletes, for athletes. In "What About the Theatre?" Dos Passos heralds the birth of an American Theatre, "as hopelessly lyrically American as cigarette ads or Coca-Cola."

Albert Harron reviews the 1925 season, which means everything in the season that sport lovers could desire and sets the ball rolling for the man who talks a good track meet. Among the reprints, which follow this, there is "Rowing in the Fifties" by President Eliot, an article designed to recall that crew at Harvard originated when the Cambridge oarsmen used to low lumber home from Boston.

The remainder of this leviathan is filled with yatching notes, pictures, fashion news, theatrical briefs, jokes, and advertisements, which rival those of Vanity Fair.