ERRORS IN SEVENTH GIVE WIN TO PURPLE

Despite Defeat University Nine Shows Improvement--Carroll Permits Ten Hits--Spalding Allows 11

Owen Carroll faced a Crimson nine for the last time on Saturday, conceded before the game every chance to repeat the 14 to 3 victory he scored last month. When the game was over, he had won again, preserving his spotless record against Harvard baseball teams, but it was by no such lop-sided score, and as late as the seventh inning he must have felt slightly worried about his laurels. That inning and the next saved him, and Holy Cross ended the game a 6 to 2 winner.

University Weakens in Seventh

Up until the seventh inning, it was a great game for the University. On the long end of a 2 to 1 score, finding the renowned Carroll no such enigma as in the past, and having played a flawless game in the field, it was little wonder that those Crimson enthusiasts who travelled to the blistering Fitton Field at Worcester should think back to the home run that won the last Crimson victory over the Purple in 1920. The last two frames did much to disillusion those who were so venturesome as to hope for victory, but the whole game may be taken as an optimistic sign of development, and as a welcome source of confidence before the imminent Yale series.

The ten hits collected off Carroll are the most important source of whatever pride the Crimson nine may take in Saturday's game. That the Purple star was by no means out of condition is evidenced by the seven strikeouts he chalked up. The two runs tallied by the University came early in the game and gave it a lead up until the seventh, and the Crimson hitting continued throughout the game.

The seamy side of the game from the Crimson point of view, centers around the quartet of errors that lost the lead in the seventh. The Purple batters found Spalding much more effectively in the closing frames than they did at the outset, but ragged fielding let two runs tally in the seventh and the trio of tallies that crossed the plate in the next inning were not needed as far as the verdict was concerned. Spalding was found throughout the game for 11 hits.

The summary:

HOLY CROSSa.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Gautreau 2b.  4  1  1  4  2  0Walsh 3b.  4  1  0  1  3  0Cote s.s.  4  0  1  1  4  0Savage c.f.  4  2  4  2  0  0Morissey r.f.  2  1  1  0  0  0Freeman l.f.  3  0  0  0  2  0McEntee 1b.  4  1  2  8  1  1Doherty c.  4  0  1  11  0  0Carroll p.  4  0  1  0  1  0Totals  33  6  11  27  13  1HARVARDa.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Zarakov 3b.  3  0  3  2  2  0Rogers r.f.  1  0  1  0  0  0Ellison r.f.  8  0  2  3  0  0Todd l.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0Samborski c.  4  0  0  0  0  1Tobin 1b.  4  0  0  11  0  1Hammond 2b.  4  0  0  4  0  1Burgess c.f.  3  0  1  3  0  0Keene s.s.  4  1  2  1  6  1Spalding p.  3  1  1  0  2  0*DeRham  1  0  0  0  0  0Totals  35  2  10  24  10  4*Batted for Spalding in the ninth inning