THE LOWER REGIONS

Health officials in New York have now declared that the subway is immoral. To the dwellers in the wicked city who have always been perturbed about their reputation, and who smoke that brand, this information is the straw to break the camel's back. The apparatus of modern civilization has had the tendency to throw the people into the throes of vice, it is true. Dr. Fosdick went as far as to say that a path bestrewn with chewing gum led as surely to Hell as to a telephone exchange, but to have that stigdra east on the subways seems Nemesis. They appeared the one wholesome, clean place where a man could go to get away from himself. But now engaged girls will pawn their rings, and go by taxi to save their name: old maids will feel temptations as they pass the exits: and the conductors will become introspective.

The representative of Stone & Webster admitted that the subway was no place for "fragile" people, but he blushed when the other charge was brought. A witness reported overhearing a middle aged woman who was pressed against a young dastard say "You wouldn't dare insult me, sir, if Jack were only here," but he denied saying that a young woman had sued the Inter-urban for breach of promise. No doubt the result will be as usual, simply that good newspaper editors will attribute the degeneracy of the tunnel system to modern youth and the generally low plane of New York's busy life.