THE SPIRIT OF 1914

Occasional perusal of the editorial columns of the Boston Transcript should be sufficient to familiarize any reader with such characteristics of that paper as political prejudice or smug contempt for new and radical ideas. No one is surprised to see Transcript editors acclaim as inspired every word which issues from a Republican month, dismiss with a shrug the work of advanced political thinkers, or threaten the country with imminent ruin from communist machinations. But complete as the conservative and reactionary attitude of the Transcript may usually be, it is still able on occasion to surprise the most constant of its readers.

For the last two days the American press has been haling the remarkable achievement o the German dirigible, Graft Zeppelin. Enthusiastic praise of the triumph of Captain Eckener and his associates has been almost universal. The Transcript, however, has managed to find something more than great skill and great courage in the venture of the German airmen: "As a matter of fact, the experience with the ship is more valuable from a military point of view than it is from a commercial. May it not be that this aspect of the matter had a place in the minds of her builders and navigators?"

The folly and danger of such a reversion to pre-war distrust need no elaboration. Even if, however, the peril to friendly understanding between two powerful nations latent in this attitude of suspicion be over-looked, it must yet be regretted that the Transcript chose to strike so discordant a note in a day of general welcome and rejoicing.