Optimism Prevalent in Cadet Corps as Crimson Battle Nears

Wingmen Cause of Worry to West Point Coaches--Able Leader in Sprague

By The Pointer

The world's toughest schedule--one of the strongest teams in years. Those two phrases sum up rather accurately the consensus of cadet opinion concerning the 1928 Army football season. This opinion has been more or less prevalent since the first September practices; it crystalized when the Army swept over Boston University in the season's opener; it weathered the Southern Methodist scare, and now is stronger than ever.

As for the team, a few facts will speak volumes. Army employes a charging style of game that calls for hard-running backs. And in Cagle, Murrell and others Army has just such backs. The most famous of the ball-luggers is Christian "Red" Cagle, whom Grantland Rice placed at halfback on his first All-American team last year. Heretofore, Red has confined his activities to running and passing. This season he is also punting,--thus becoming a formidable "triple threat".

Army's two famous tackles form the bulwark of its line. Captain "Bud" Sprague is playing his fourth year of West Point football, and he never fails to be mentioned prominently on the all teams. Bud weighs 220 pounds and is usually the first man down the field under punts. He also kicks off for the team and his toe accounts for most of the points-after-touchdown. Perry, the other tackle, is a 214-pound giant who is seldom boxed in and who holds up his side of the line well. The hardest job imaginable is convincing a cadet that Army's tackles are not the best in the country.

Army lost three great ends through graduation, and the chief worry of the coaches this season has been to develop capable wingmen. Major Sasse, one of the best end coaches in the country, has been fairly successful in unearthing new material. But it must be admitted that the ends are still the weakest link in the team.