Work on First Film of Harvard in Full Swing--Flyers Aid in Survey-Scenario Covers Range of University Life

More than 1000 feet of film have already been taken on the first authentic motion picture reproduction of Harvard and Harvard life ever attempted, according to an announcement made yesterday by the University Film Foundation. The film, which will be distributed to Harvard clubs all over the country this winter, is being produced for the Harvard Alumni Association by the University Film Foundation.

Work which started a week and a half ago has been concentrated so far on building exteriors and on various screen tests. Saturday with the sanction of the Harvard Athletic authorities the Film Foundation camera men initiated a series of athletic pictures by taking various shots of the Army game. With the game itself was included views of the crowds crossing the bridge and cheering in the Stadium in an attempt to reproduce for winter gatherings of graduates the complete big game atmosphere of the fall. All told, athletic pictures will comprise about one third of the completed film and will include shots of individual athletes, football workouts, rowing, soccer, polo, and other fall sports.

To Use Flying Club Plane

In order to catch the foliage at its most advantageous stage exterior views of the Yard, the Freshman dormitories, Memorial Hall, and also of the more distant Arnold Arboretum and Botanical Gardens have been taken first. This week it is planned to use the Harvard Flying Club's plane to obtain an air survey of the various parts of the University. As soon as the exterior scenes, which include pictures of students in the Yard and on the streets, are completed, interior work in lecture rooms, tutorial conferences, the Library, and various activity centers will commence. J. A. Haeseler '23, director of the Film Foundation, is in charge of the film. He is being assisted by Osgood Field '26, C. A. Hicks '28, J. P. Bradford, and Sherman Pratt, the last two graduates of Princeton and Amherst respectively.

Scenario Announced

The tentative scenario which has been drawn up for the film covers a wide range of Harvard scenes and activities. The first few scenes trace Harvard history rapidly from the foundation in the time of John Harvard through the Revolution and the period of rapid expanse after the Civil War to the present. This group ends with pictures in the Yard and a scene inside one of the Yard dormitories.

The object of the film is to present an authentic and comprehensive view of Harvard as it is today to graduates and other friends of the University. The completed film will be about 2,000 feet long; it is expected that at least 6,000 feet will be taken before the film is reduced to its final form.