LINING THEM UP

IV. Tackles

The following is the second of a series of articles reviewing the material which composes this year's University football squad. Taking up the various positions separately, these articles propose to sum up the past records of the men now working regularly on the three University elevens and to discuss briefly the present situation with regard to them.

It has become an adage of considerable merit that in the modern game of football, "a team is as strong as its tackles." If this be true a first glance at the tackles eligible this fall seems to indicate that the strength of Harvard's 1927 football team defends largely on the advantage to which F. A. Clark '29 turns his lanky, powerful frame. Whether or not it is granted that one man can thus make or break a team, it appears that the key to the tackle situation, at least, rests with Clark.

Captain C. A. Pratt '28, who is back this year in his old position at right tackle, is a known quantity. Last fall he was, before the end of the season, one of the outstanding tackles in Eastern gridiron ranks, and reports so far this year indicate that his work shows anything but decline. With Captain Pratt, then, taking care of one tackle assignment in competent fashion, the University coaching staff is confronted with the problem of finding or developing a capable running mate for the Crimson leader. Clark at present gives the greatest promise of measuring up to this standard.

Two years ago as first string Freshman tackle Clark was rather a disappointment. He was unable to turn the full power of his 200 pounds to good account and in the season's final encounter was the mark of frequent Eli thrusts which went for substantial gains. Last year he was on the University squad, played in most of the season's minor games, and showed marked improvement over the Freshman playing. This year he has risen to first string ranking, and according to reports which emanate from the secret Soldiers Field practice sessions gives promise of great further improvement. Clark is six feet, five inches tall, weighs 210 pounds this year, and has the power to place him among the gridiron's leading giants. On the effectiveness with which he can use this power depends to a certain extent the strength of Harvard's tackles in this fall's encounters.

To a certain extent only, however, for with the great burden placed on the tackles in modern football, two men can scarcely be expected to carry out the entire tackle assignment without frequent relief. In this respect the loss of W. L. Storey '30, last year's Freshman bulwark, through ineligibility will undoubtedly prove a serious handicap. J. E. Barrett '30, Storey's running mate last year, is the leading prospect for relief work. He is the solid, powerful type of tackle who can stand and administer plenty of rough treatment. H. L. Levin '29, T. H. Alcock 28, and F. Z. Davis '30 are the other tackles on the University squad. Levin rose from the class ranks to Second team standing last year, and this year looms as one of the best University substitute possibilities. Both Alcock and Davis were promoted from the Seconds last week; the former wore a scrub uniform last year, while the latter was on the Freshman squad. Two or three of the guards have been tried at tackle at various times during the past week, and it is possible that some of them may be shifted permanently to the latter position