TO YALE, THEN

It never can happen again, this game. More than that, nothing like it can ever happen again. The Yale games, four climatic endings of four undergraduate football seasons, are remembered after all the other games have faded into an indiscriminacy of thrill. And this Yale game will survive in a magic place of the mind where, forty-years on, every student may find again the old thoughts of that autumn at Harvard.

But there are more than the potentialities of memory to make Harvard rejoice afresh in this Yale game. For the renewing of the stout rivalry of friendship Harvard has never had worthier protagonists than the University football team of this year. Demanding nothing of them, Harvard yet sends her team onto the field in a complete confidence that they will give the hard-driving best of which they have already proved themselves capable.

Harvard goes to Yale with pleasure that has defied definition for too long to have its genesis discovered this year. One would not wish to come closer to it than the sense that came to many a Harvard man on the day the first visited Yale, a sense of having been here at some other time.