THE P. B. H. CONFERENCE

The growing despondency of leader in the Phillips Brooks House has at length turned to a forum as the logical means of curing the apathy that fogs undergraduate interest and understanding in the House. Two leading questions have been set to bring about the discussion that may solve the present difficulty.

To the first query the answer must be affirmative. Phillips Brooks House has had its unique place in Harvard's existence for many years, and in general there can be no doubt that it has done well. Merely in serving as a clearing house between the numerous extra-University groups calling for student aid, and the numerous students who find tangible satisfaction in altruism or often in material training, Phillips Brooks House becomes an integral part of Harvard; and this activity is but a minute part of the web of organization interests. Freshman Week, the Loan Library, work in the Graduate Schools, the winter lecture course, allowe their continuation chiefly to P. B. H.

These are among the methods by which Philips Brooks House is seeking toward its goal of service. But spirit can accomplish little without the flesh of genuine support. It must be granted that the ordinary undergraduate feels a certain desire to escape the memories of over-assiduous home-town charities and clubs, and that the less worthy, as well as the more worthy of these, wear the name of religion. Whether one approves or not, the contemporary attitude is distinctly not religious; and in the belief that P. B. H. is fundamentally religious, and therefore slightly emasculated, lies much of the innate indifference of the under graduate toward it. The conference will show that the organization is one with the flabby efforts of misguided philanthropy, which the new student has generally met. When this misconception is out of the way, the ground will be clear for more fertile plans of active work.