Magenta, Crimson of 55 Years ago, Deprecates Short Thanksgiving Recess--Laments Greek Exam Following

This editorial, a plea to the Faculty invoked by a problem not yet settled, is reprinted from an issue of the Magenta, the precursor of the Crimson, of 55 years ago. At the printing of this, on November 21, 1878, the Magenta had been established one year.

Perhaps it is in accordance with the saying that there is no pleasure without its pain that an examination in Greek has been assigned to the Freshmen on the Saturday following Thanksgiving. Hitherto it has been the custom to give to the entire College a recess from 10 o'clock on the Wednesday preceding Thanksgiving until the Monday following. If it is necessary that the recitations on Wednesday should be conducted as usual, and that those living at a distance should be prevented from spending the day with their families, is it necessary also to deprive them of the pleasure that would otherwise result from the short recess, by asking them to prepare for an examination immediately after their return?

If, before, it was considered hardly right to make any one return for a recitation, though the preparation of this took up but a short time of the vacation, is it just, now, to impose upon us an examination in preparation for which, if we hope to pass at all fairly, we shall be obliged to spend nearly the whole of the two days allowed? For even if it is argued that we should be prepared at all times for examination, every one knows that not even the most persistent "dig"--and perhaps he least of all--would wish to go in without having read over connectedly what he is to be examined in; yet this is a season when a man's time is not entirely his own,--certain duties are expected of him,--so that even if he had the inclination it would be exceedingly difficult for him to find the time for him to study between Wednesday and Saturday.

If the Faculty would reconsider the case and remove this burden from our minds, they would render the thanksgivings of many much more hearty and sincere than they otherwise would be.