RIFLEMEN WILL SHOOT AT INTERCOLLEGIATE MEET

MINOR SPORT LETTERS AWARDED TO CLUB TEAM LAST YEAR

Harvard University will be represented by an outdoor rifle team for the first time next spring when the rifle club will send eight men to compete in the Intercollegiate Rifle Meet, according to an announcement made late last night.

It is doubtful if the club will participate in a shoot with any other college before this meet, however, for few colleges hold dual matches, usually refraining from all competition until the intercollegiate meet which is conducted by government authorities. Just where this year's meet will be held is not yet definitely settled, but there are plans to hold sectional meets, the winners to come together at some government range. Last year the event was held at Annapolis; with many colleges participating.

Harvard has always been under a handicap in any form of rifle meet because of the fact that most colleges have R. O. T. C. infantry units which spend much time in rifle practice, while at Harvard the unit is an artillery one where little opportunity is given for rifle practice. In order to overcome this handicap, the rifle club plans to hold practice shoots at the range in Arlington throughout the winter, or as long as the weather conditions will permit.

The rifle club at present numbers 45 members, about half of that membership participating in active work on the range. Shortly after the Christmas recess, there will be a meeting of the club at which time further plans for the season's activities will be set forth. The award of minor sport letters to the club team last year by the Athletic Association has created more interest in the team.