TRACK MEN ARE STARTED ON HARD WINTER SEASON

Farrell and Mikkola Begin Work With Nucleus of 15 Veterans--Schedules Are Announced

With 15 of last year's letter men available, the winter track team, under the direction of Coach E. L. Farrell and Jaakko Mikkola, started practice this week in an informal way for the strenuous season which lies ahead of it. A large squad, consisting of sixty aspirants for the team, contains a number of promising candidates for the various track and field events.

Until after the Christmas holidays, the practice will be of such a nature as to allow the coaches to give individual attention to those reporting. Attendance at these afternoon sessions is not compulsory, but Coach Farrell urges the members of the squad to report at Soldiers Field as often as possible. Practice will start officially on January 4.

A handicap contest in throwing the 35-pound weight open to all undergraduates will be held during the week preceding the Christmas recess.

The men still in College who won insignia last year are: T. H. Alcock '29, P. S. Brown '30, S. E. Brown '30, F. E. Cummins '30, W. M. Dow '29, Leslie Flaksman '29, David Guarnaccia '29, T. F. Mason '30, R. H. O'Connell '30, R. P. Porter '29, J. W. Potter '30, J. L. Reid '29, G. W. Smith '30, G. A. Tupper '29, J. O. Wildes '30.

The schedule follows:

January 26--Knights of Columbus meet at Boston Garden.

February 2--Boston Athletic Association meet at Boston Garden.

February 23--Triangular meet (Harvard, Cornell, and Dartmouth) at Boston Garden.

March 2--1, C. A. A. A. A. meet at 122nd Armory, New York.

Prospects for the Freshman indoor crack team are good, especially with the report of several members of the 1932 football squad for the pre-season practices.

The Freshman schedule follows:

February 2--Boston Athletic Association meet a Boston Garden.

February 9--Andover at Andover.

March 2--Exeter at Exeter.