UNIVERSITY AND 1931 HOOPMEN RESUME WORK

Both Started Practice Yesterday After Two Week Lay Off--University Meets Amherst Friday

After a lull of ten days, the University and Freshman basketball teams resumed activities yesterday in preparation of their coming games this week. The University quintet will play its first game in two weeks when it meets the Amherst players Friday. The 1931 team will journey to Exeter on Saturday to play the Exeter Academy team.

Following the Christmas vacation the University and Freshman teams started the second stage of their season off by winning games from Middlebury and Tilton respectively. A series of straight victories followed the midyear examination period. Then the University quintet was defeated by the Rhode Island team on January 18, while the Freshmen were the losers the following day in their contest with the Crushing Academy players.

After a preliminary drill-practice, consisting of work in handling and passing the ball, Coach E. W. Wachter sent the men through several minutes of scrimmaging. A. M. Samborski '25, Freshman coach, confined the first year team's practice to a light work out.

Both coaches are planning to develop a better defensive system. The University forwards H. T. Wenner '30 and A W. Slocum '28, with J. N. Barbee '28 at guard and W. H. Green '28 at center from a combination that has proven to have scoring power.

T. E. Farrell '31, W. W. Foshay '31, and J. L. Rex '31 are the leading scorers for the first year team. These men are light but have speed, and Samborski expects to develop them into champion ship form in the coming weeks.