SYMPOSIUM TO DISCUSS "CRIME AND PUNISHMENT"

Hooton, Campbell, Bates, Treat Crime From Three Viewpoints--Set For 8 O'clock in New Lecture Hall

"Crime and Punishment," discussed from the anthropological, medical, and legal viewpoints, is the subject of a symposium to be held tonight at 8 o'clock in New Lecture Hall under the auspices of the Gamma Alpha fraternity, a graduate scientific society. The three viewpoints will each be discussed by an authority in that particular field.

E. A. Hooton, associate professor of Anthropology, will deal with the relationship between anthropology and crime. The extent of this relation is soon to be shown in the results of a general survey in conjunction with the State Department of the physical characteristics of criminals in several states. Among the aspects of crime with which Professor Hooton will deal are the questions of the existence of criminal types, the relationship between physical and mental characteristics, the importance of racial factors, and the influence of heredity.

Dr. Macfle Campbell, professor of Psychiatry and Director of the Massachusetts Psychopathic Hospital, will discuss crime from the viewpoint of medical psychology. Sanford Bates, Commissioner of Corrections for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, will make use in his discussion of his observations of crime as a lawyer and as an authority on penology.

The symposium is open to the public. Each of the three speakers will be limited to 20 minutes.