William Hodge, Actor and Author, Says His Present Play Is Dramatization of a Vacation--Stresses Humor and Realism

William Hodge, actor and writer of his own plays, had just come off the stage after the final curtain of his latest play, "Straight Thru the Door", and was sitting in his dressing room attired in the tuxedo coat and white trousers in which he appeared in his last scene. It really am a rather dry proposition for an interview," he remarked in his quiet way to the scribe who was waiting for him, "but I can at least tell you where I got the basis for my play.

"You know," he said, settling himself in his chair, "I live in Greenwich. Connecticut. Well, about two years ago, my own house burnt down, and I had it rebuilt. I moved in with my family though before the workmen were through and well, the play is just a dramatization of my summer vacation. And then, lots of the other things, the Junior Dance and so forth that I mention in the play they actually do have them in Greenwich.

"Of course, there are some things that occasionally have to be 'theaterized' and lots of points aren't actual first-hand experience, but I always try to stick to nature, to do things naturally. Subjects related to humanity of today that's what I'm interested in.

"My recipe for making an audience enjoy itself is to try to keep human, and to bind humor with interest. I don't believe in any of these wild-eyed ideas of the drama."

As to whether a college education was any help to a man choosing a theatrical career. Mr. Hodge did not seem so sure. "Of course," he admitted, "a man must master the English language, and college offers him that and other opportunities. But the greatest possibilities are in men themselves. I myself was born poor, have been one of the people and know and love them and that I think is the reason for my success."