THE STRENGTH OF UNION

The Harvard Union, always an active organization, has been outdoing itself this year. This Sunday evening programs are attracting large audience, and the recent decision to admit ladies to them may mean an increase in the attendance. The Debating Union finds an interested group of student twice a month; mid-week concerts are popular; the Union continues to be the logical place for class smokers, Copeland reading, and luncheons to distinguished guests.

The luncheon in honor of Count Luckner was highly successful, and doubtless contributed to another decision of the Union's Governing Board; the revival of the tradition of an annual dinner in honor of the Harvard graduate who has most distinguished himself during the year.

The familiar cry of "no personal contact" so often applied to large university has of course a strong basis of truth; and it is rather far-fetched to think that the meeting of one important Harvard man once a year with only 250 students will go far in establishing close relations between the student body and the governing factors in the University. Nevertheless the idea is good. University teas are another embodiment of this same effort, and they too, play a role in introducing the two main bodies of the University to each other. The semi-formal, social character of such meetings in something not to be attained even in the most intimate classes; the only pity is that no larger number of students take advantage of them. The Union and the Faculty are coming more than halfway; only where the students are unwilling to make a little effort does the plan fall through.