HARVARD MISSIONARY ACTIVE IN ALBANIA

BREEDING OF CATTLE IMPORTANT ASPECT OF WORK

The report of B. K. Schneider, the missionary to Albania from the University has been received at the Phillips Brooks House according to J. G. Buckley '28, chairman of the missions committee.

Albania was formerly under the control of the Turks, and as such had no voice in the government of the section. The sanitation was primitive and education unknown. When Albania was freed and set up as an independent state, the people were in too impoverished a condition to effect their own welfare.

Schneider went with Dr. C. T. Erickson to Albania to found a school there for the promotion of the agriculture among the people. Under the Turkish regime, inbreeding had been extremely common so that the cattle were of exceedingly poor stock, and the Albanian ear of corn was only four or five inches in length.

Contributed Cattle and Seeds

With him, Schneider took American stocks, ewes, rams, cattle of various sorts being the gifts of contributors to the mission. New seed was also imported in order to introduce into the country, if possible, new and stronger American strains.

In Albania, a model school was set up, and a farm carried on. Schneider reported that cheering and enrourage a barn before. In this atmosphere the Albania livestock had greatly disintegrated, so that any one of the cows brought from America gives as much milk as any live of the Albanian cows, according to Schneider.

Schneider has coached a football team at the school during the past year, and reported that cheering and encouragement of any noisy manner were frowned upon, since it was regarded as unsports-manlike.