NAMES OF MEN OF SCHOLASTIC TEAM ARE ANNOUNCED

All Members of Harvard Team Have High Scholastic Standing--Several Prominent in Undergraduate Work

The names of the ten Harvard undergraduates who will represent the University in the first of a series of scholastic competitions with Yale were announced yesterday. The contests were recently established through a gift of $125,000 made by Mrs. William Lowell Putnam and the first one will be held next week.

Twelve Men on Team

The team with its two alternates is as follows: John Egger Barnett '28 of Clinton, Mo.; Henry Thomas Dolan '28 of Scranton, Pa.; James Latimer McLane ocC. of Garrison, Md.; John Douglas Merriam '28 of Newton, N. J.; Nathan Marsh Pusey '28 of Council Bluffs, la.; Laurence James Rittenband '29 of Brooklyn, N. Y.; Russell Thornley Sharpe '28 of East Greenwich, R. I.; Richard Thomas Sherman '28 of Algona, Ia.; Harold Strauss '28 of New York City; Edward Carl Wilkins '28 of Springfield, Mass. The two alternates are: George Barry Bingham '28 of Glenview, Ky., and Carl Harmon Hartwig '28 of Lawrence, Mass.,

Although it was originally intended to withhold the names of the Harvard contestants until after the contest, which has been set for Monday, that plan has been reconsidered by those in charge of the competition.

Authorities Feared Publicity

The members of the Harvard team had been notified at the beginning of the week that they had been selected to compete, but the authorities had intended to defer public announcement of their names until after the contest in order to avoid publicity which might be detrimental to the competitors. In view of the fact, however, that the Yale team had been announced it was decided yesterday that to put the teams on a completely equal footing the names of the Harvard men should also be released.

Academic Records All High

All of these men have made notable academic records, and several have distinguished themselves in undergraduate activities as well. All but three hold University scholarships. Seven were in Group III or higher in the scholastic ranking for the year 1926-27, four more in Group II and one in Group I.

It is significant that nine of the members of the team prepared at High Schools, one at St. Paul's School, one at Lawrence Academy, and one with a private tutor. Only one of the men is a resident of Massachusetts and the others represent six different states ranging from Pennsylvania to Missouri.

Besides their high academic records, several members of the team have distinguished themselves in undergraduate activities. Barnett is an editor of the Advocate, and Pusey was a member of the Freshman basketball team. Bingham and Sherman have both taken a leading part in the activities of the Harvard Dramatic Club, and Sherman was editorial chairman of the CRIMSON last fall.

To Increase Academic Interest

The competition was established by Mrs. Putnam with the idea that "the competition which has inspired young men to undertake and undergo so much for the sake of athletic victories might accomplish the same results in academic fields."